Wednesday, April 7, 2010

From a Former Delta Student

Trevor decided to go into full-time missions work in India after high school. Read the message below from him, pretty inspiring from a 19 year old.

From Trevor Repay

Well, you see, my dear friends, at the age of nineteen, I was a rather adventuresome youngster who had a heart to help and encourage people. My all time, most admired hero was a dude that lived two thousand-ish years ago by the name of Jesus. He spoke about being a servant to all; caring for others more than yourself and such things.

As I read four books written by four of His best friends, they began to change my life and character in quite a remarkable way. After learning some of Jesus’s teachings and learning who He said He was, I was convinced that the way of life that He spoke of was the only proper way to live. Because of Jesus teachings, I was wholly convinced that the God of all existence also had a heart to help the hurting and wanted to use his followers to accomplish the task of spreading His love and such things.

So being convinced that God was with me, I decided to travel to the other side of the world, trying to live out this idea that Jesus talked about in saying "go into all the world and feed my sheep." Jesus called all who would come to follow Him and His ways to be fishers of men. Based on previous experiences traveling overseas, I knew that pretty much any place was optimal for finding people who needed to be shown love.


I find it best if your primary purpose is fishing… then it is sensible to go to a place most abundant with fish. This basic principle was one motivation for my flying to India. You see, friend, the way most of the people in the world live is vastly, intensely different from the way most Americans live.


After my first few months here in India, I found that striving to live out the kind of life Jesus spoke of is absolutely, by far, the best possible way to live. Also, I will say that the life of a nineteen-year-old solo missionary is a quite fulfilling one. After seeing all that I have seen and experiencing the situations that I have experienced, I truly believe that to live your life for anything besides total surrender to the ways of Jesus is pretty much just selling yourself short. I am fully convinced that when a person chooses to be in relationship with Jesus that is what makes a life complete. He is the one that makes people into the best possible version of them and develops well-formed, proper character in people.


My time here on the other side of the world so far has been awesome and more or less what you would expect if you know the kind of life of which Jesus spoke. I have seen some flat-out, straight-up miracles; seen things work out in ways that cannot be explained apart from the Holy Spirit. I have had the privilege of serving people from a leper colony to villages that are miles and miles from the nearest town. On one instance, I even convinced an entire village of about eighty people to follow the ways of Jesus. After, I had the chance to give them an audio device with bible stories on it so that they could follow Jesus on their own. Also, one of the people I was working with found a pastor that will be able to minister to and with them so that they can then tell the villagers around them about how totally awesome the Ways of Jesus are.


But now that my visa is expiring, however, its time to come home for a time… The only thing is… I’m counting on other Christ-followers and friends to help me finish the rest of my journey. It has been quite an eventful trip, following hard after God. It is my hope that someday I’ll get to return to India and visit some of the villages and orphanages at which I stayed. So if you still wanna be a part of this awesome thing God is doing with my life, there is still a chance. Or if you know of anyone who is looking for an opportunity to give, I need to raise money for my plane ticket home before April 20. So, I am in need of some help.I’m really hoping I don’t end up getting deported… If anyone is interested in supporting a nineteen-year old missionary, please contact my totally way awesome brother, Nate, without delay, at (815) 529-4019, 908 Union Avenue, Belvidere, IL 61008-5242.


A most sincere Thanks you
Trevor Repay

No comments: